The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013/14 to 2017/18 to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school head teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
There is a commitment currently to carry the funding on until 2020.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose they do this. Possible uses for the funding include:
hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- new or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
Record_of_Sports_Premium_grant_received.doc (41.5 KiB, )
Sport Premium 2014-2015 Summer Update (40.0 KiB, )
Sports Premium Plan 2016-2017 (1.6 MiB, )
Swimming Report 2017-2018 Spring Update (10.3 KiB, )